Cleanse your respiratory system effectively
Himalayan salt provides amazing benefits to your respiratory system. See all its benefits and how you can get them using a Himalayan salt inhaler in this article.
Did you know that humans have been using Himalayan salt for therapeutic purposes for several thousand years? The ancient Greeks used it in halotherapy to cure different types of respiratory diseases.
In recent years, several studies came to light and shown how salt mines workers don’t develop lung diseases and how their respiratory systems are extremely healthy. Rather curious, isn’t it?
Apparently, the healing power of the unmistakable pink Himalayan salt is behind this effect.
Benefits of Himalayan Salt
The pink Himalayan salt is a sodium chloride with a large amount of minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, sulphate, oxide, iron, manganese, fluorine, iodine, zinc, chromium, copper, cobalt and gold. This rich mineral content is what makes it so beneficial for your respiratory health.
Himalayan salt can help improve respiratory health in the following ways:
- Increases lung capacity. Studies in the 1980s found that breathing the ionized and purified air of Himalayan salt mines had the ability to reduce respiratory problems, especially when they were caused by irritation of the mucous membranes caused by tobacco addiction or by atmospheric contamination.
- Cleanses the airways. The pink salt components act as cleaning agents, eliminating all types of bacteria, germs or toxins.
- Expels excess mucus. Salt is a natural expectorant, which can help reduce excess mucus present in the nose and throat, as well as relieve congestion of the respiratory tract.
- Helps reduce withdrawal symptoms associated with stop smoking.
It has been demonstrated that the therapeutic use of Himalayan salt is an excellent natural remedy to treat:
- Respiratory Infections
- Dry Cough
Want to start using the Himalayan salt and have no idea how? Check out the following advice.
Using Himalayan Salt through an Inhaler
This variety of salt has no scent and tastes saltier than the common salt. While you can use it for cooking (you will often see Himalayan Salt in Greek and Turkish restaurants) you won’t get most of the benefits consuming it this way – since the minerals won’t pass through your full respiratory system.
To best make use of Himalayan salt as a purifying agent of your lungs and respiratory system you should use a salt pipe or salt inhaler. This is a small device that can be either ceramic or plastic and that contains an inner cavity to pill with salt mine crystals.
Breathing through the inhaler with the mouth, you will notice a mild salty flavour and the natural moisture in the air will absorb the healing particles in the salt. These will penetrate your respiratory system, clearing and detoxifying it throughout.
Salt inhalers are very easy to use and you won’t experience any difficulty. Generally, they come with a refill of salt crystals and you can new refills as necessary. Before the 1st use, make sure to rinse the salt inhaler to remove any trace of dust and then simply let it dry naturally before filling it with salt crystals. To use it:
- Fill your salt pipe inhaler with salt. This can be either Himalayan salt or rock salt from mines – the latter is usually provided with the inhalers).
- Place the tip of the salt inhaler in your mouth and breathe through it. Hold your breath for a moment and then exhale through your nose. Perform this practice for 15 minutes daily.
The use of salt inhalers doesn’t have any negative side effects and is completely safe.
Recommended Himalayan Salt Inhaler
If the above made you want to get yourself a salt inhaler/pipe, you should know that there’s no specific device for this kind of salt.
The majority of salt inhalers are pretty generic in the sense that you can use not only Himalayan, but also pure rock salt. In fact, most brands come with one refill of rock salt – even if some are better than others as expected.
From all the brands we had the opportunity to try and research one brand stood out – Salitair.
This brand offers a modern, top quality salt inhaler that comes with a refill of the purest rock salt. It has hundreds of satisfied customers, 24-48 hours UK delivery and great customer support.